Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Challenges! Rar!

It has been a most challenging few weeks for me. After our trip overseas, the film festival the next week and a busy work and school schedule, amidst an especially busy week of training, I had my leg broken for me. I would say, had the circumstances been different that I "broke my leg," but the way it happened I feel the only accurate description is that it was broken for me. How? Sloppy, clumsy tackle against me on the football (soccer) pitch. Am I bitter? Trying hard not to be. Positive vibes help so much in the process. Am I in pain? Yep, especially when I get into a negative mood, which has been a little more frequently as the days restricted as to what I can do drag on. I've given up on TV, finished the book I was reading, so all that is left is internet multiplayer Mah Jong or Chess and simply doing my best to get some writing projects looked at and touched up.

Between the meds, pain and stationary limitations, I've been pretty out of sorts but I have managed to plunk a new draft of an article together (one more draft tomorrow morning and it should be in it's final phase), get a sizable chunk of a chapter in my book written, and feel pretty confident about where other projects were headed. The chapter was especially important because I've been in a pretty big stall with that story for quite some time now, so much so that I took some time off to work on other things (the short I finished a bit ago). How I got through the sticky part was with a liberal smearing of weird. That's the best way to defuse any tough plot point in anything, let the strangeness of your own mind guide you through the perhaps unlikely yet compellingly strange plot devices you dream/imagine between dozing/waking. Thanks subconscious! I own ya' another one.