Thursday, February 01, 2007

Twas brillig and the slivy toves? Nah.

I would love for someone to explain to me my recent fascination with tracing the roots of English words, looking for forceful language and attempting to read Old English, learn its rules and mechanics. It's effective, this language of which I speak... guttural, at times, filled with threatening undertones, hints of earthen power and wholeness. It does not dance like Latin, it is blunt like a Saxon club. It's a comfort language in the way that mac 'n cheese is a comfort food. It's alien to the modern English speaker when written, yet when spoken we hear words we understand, ideas that form, a pattern that emerges. It has been an interesting experiences, learning the basics.

I suppose I've just explained it to myself. Ah musings.

So, Scrivener 1.0, the writing software I've been beta-testing/using the free version of, has been released. I purchased it, and have been loving it. The note-carding and organizational system is still fully exciting and useful, and as I learn of some of the features in this newest version I titter with joy.

I've been plodding through a short story in preparation for some things I've got in the writing cache, ready to roll out. This short is pretty good, I think. I'm not usually very good at making cohesive short stories, usually at just taking snapshots of what could be a larger story and reducing it to one scene... normally, I imagine anyone reading a short I put together would feel like this world was fully formed when they arrived into it, and perhaps they've arrived just in the middle of a conversation. I guess it's not so bad. I could just attribute it to my own "style," but I'm terribly concerned that it might just be attributed to an inability to write shorts.

I've just realized, it's February already... heavens. We've had a busy year already, what with art exhibitions for the misses, school and work for myself, preparing for our journey in a month and a half. I think waiting for this trip has made the first month of this year zip by a little quickly. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited about it. I hate to think of myself as a nerdy culture-hungry vacation worshiper, and I'm not, I don't think... but I have the taste for travel right now (well, sort of, I hate driving distances, and flying is no treat for me, for that matter).